From PS8: The PS8 PTA proudly presents- its First Annual Night to Celebrate Reading, with special guest, Gabriel Byrne.
When: Thursday, November 19, from 7-9 pm
Where: Umbrage Gallery, 111 Front St., Suite 208, Dumbo, Brooklyn
Plese join us for a very special evening of wine & cheese, and an incredible line-up (below) of New York’s luminary literati.
Suggested Donation: $20/person
See the line-up of writers, scholars, and reporters after the jump.
PART I (7 to 8 o’clock pm)
- Tad Friend, staff writer for The New Yorker and author of Cheerful Money: Me, My Family, and the Last Days of Wasp Splendor
- Warren St. John, reporter for The New York Times and author of Outcasts United: A Refugee Team, An American Town and Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer: A Road Trip into the Heart of Fan Mania
- Melissa Milgrom, PS 8 parent, and author of the forthcoming novel, Still Life: Adventures in Taxidermy
- Rich Benjamin, scholar, journalist and author of Searching for Whitopia: An Improbable Journey into the Heart of White America
- Paul Zelinsky, former PS 8 parent, author and illustrator of Wheels on the Bus, Rapunzel and Rumpelstiltskin, to name only a few
- Josh Neufeld, cartoonist, illustrator and writer of the graphic novelization, A.D.: New Orleans After the Deluge, and A Few Perfect Hours and Other Stories from Southeast Asia & Central Europe.
PART II (8 to 9 o’clock pm)
- Janice Eidus, PS 8 parent and author of The War of the Rosens, Vito Loves Geraldine, Urban Bliss, and The Celibacy Club
- Beth Feldman & Liz Gumbinner, co-authors of See Mom Run: Side-Splitting Essays from the World’s Most Harried Blogging Moms
- Fiona Maazel, author of Last Last Chance: A Novel
- Sarah Langan, author of Audrey’s Door, The Missing, and The Keeper
- Paola Corso, poet, essayist and author of Giovanna’s 86 Circles and Other Stories
- Nan Richardson & Claudia Pearson, PS 8 parent and writer, and illustrator of A Tribal Alphabet
- Arthur Phillips, author of The Song is You: A Novel; Prague; The Egyptologist; and Angelica.
Additionally, donated copies of the following books will be available for sale:
- Jonathan Ames‘ The Alcoholic (signed copy)
- Stephen Elliott‘s The Adderall Diaries: A Memoir of Moods, Masochism and Murder
- Virginia Heffernan & Mike Albo‘s The Underminer: The Best Friend Who Casually Destroys Your Life (signed copy)
- Julie Salamon‘s Hospital: Man, Woman, Birth, Death, Infinity, Plus Red Tape, Bad Behavior, Money, God, and Diversity on Steroids (signed copies)
- Signed copies of David Samuels‘ The Runner, and Only Love Can Break Your Heart (signed copies)
- Amy Sohn‘s recent novel, Prospect Park West (signed copies)
*All proceeds from this event benefit the PS8 PTA to fund special programs and workshops, enrichment programs, and school supplies and materials.