Not only is Brooklyn touted as a tourist destination in the US by The Lonely Planet and Travel+Leisure, but also in the foreign press. Since Dumbo is easily accessible from the Brooklyn Bridge, we have seen many tourists from the UK, Australia, Canada, and Scotland among others.
The Japanese press is also onto Dumbo as a destination. Mapple, one of the most popular Japanese travel guides features Dumbo as a place to visit for 2008. The girl pictured in the article, graphic designer ‘Kathy’ says:
“Dumbo is a place where artists have studios in former industrial buildings. What I like about Dumbo is that it’s more laid back than Manhattan and when I step out to the waterfront, the skyline view of Manhattan can’t be beat. When I want something sweet, I go to Jacques Torres. There are a few cool restaurants as well, such as Superfine. Dumbo is quickly changing, and I’m looking forward to exciting change here.”
Among Mapple’s recommendations in Dumbo are Jacqes Torres Chocolate, Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, The River Cafe, Smack Mellon, and Brooklyn Bridge Park. Their six stops to visit in Dumbo are listed as:
- Water Taxi – “Just like NYC’s yellow cabs, you can hop on/off these water taxis along NYC’s islands.”
- Pomme – “Pomme is a cute French children’s shop with merchandise laid out like an art museum.”
- Grimaldi’s Pizza – “There’s always a long line at this NYC institution. The brick coal oven gives the pizza a crisp crust with a savory chew in every bite. To avoid the lines, go early.”
- Loopy Mango – “There are designs from NY, Italy, Germany, and France in this store that sells clothing, accessories, and antiques. The friendly staff will help you coordinate your look.”
- Prague Kolektiv – “Simple, elegant Czech mid-century Bauhaus to modern home furniture design (1920-1960s)”
- reBar – “Named Time Out’s Best new NYC bar, this bar, lounge, and space has a wide selection of draft beer and eats. Check out the artist gallery space in the lounge.”
Mapple also recommends Williamsburg, Harlem, and Lower East Side as places to go for ‘non-traditional’ NYC neighborhoods to visit.
For full size viewing: Mapple Dumbo 2008 [pdf, 1.2mb]