From Brooklyn Bridge Park on Pier 2 (via Community Board 2):
“Since opening in 2010, Brooklyn Bridge Park has become one of New York City’s prime waterfront destinations. The park includes rolling hills, riverfront promenades, playgrounds, sports fields, volleyball courts, a pool, carousel, picnic tables, barbecue grills and a park-wide greenway.
“This Spring, we are opening Pier 2, our newest section of the park. Pier 2 will be a great destination for New Yorkers and we want the entire city to enjoy this amazing public space.”
Pier 2 will include 5 acres of active recreation amenities:
- 5 full-size basketball courts, 2 of which will be covered by the pier roof
- A full-size roller rink that can be used for recreational roller and in-line skating, roller hockey and roller derby
- 6 handball courts
- 3 shuffleboard courts
- 2 full-sized bocce courts
- A workout area featuring state-of-the-art fitness equipment
- Over 1/2 an acre of turf for spontaneous active play
- Twelve swings of varying sizes for children of different ages
- Restrooms, picnic tables, skate rentals and lockers available on-site
Permit applications for the sports courts will be available April 1, 2014.