It’s cold and the economy has affected our psyche, but with the new Obama administration in place, everyone is hoping for positive change (yes, even the Republicans, right?). We can take charge of our own positivity by volunteering, being active in our community, or taking care of our mind/body. At least that’s what the Dumbo-based health/body related services are here for. And since they’re right here in our neighborhood, it’s a convenient way to recharge and get fit.
- The Wellness Lounge (133 Water Street) – We profiled The Wellness Lounge last month, and they’ve got a new winter “Happy Hour Specials” on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays at 2-7pm. For DumboNYC readers, call them (718-875-1514) to get a list of their unadvertised specials. For example, get $20 off any 1 hour massage on Tuesdays and Fridays from 2-7pm until end of February, 2009.
- Sencha Wellness Center (147 Front Street, Suite 406) – This appointment-only center offers holistic ‘community style’ accupuncture to de-stress and address your health problems such as migranes, pain, anxiety, and insomnia. They have an array of services that includes shiatsu massage, hot rock, aromatherapy, and others. The community style schedule is expanding hours from 11am-2pm on Wednesdays and starting Feb 2, from 5:30-8pm on Monday evenings. Call 917-586-6626 for an appointment.
- Bridge Pilates (147 Front Street, Suite 225) – With a full line of Pilates equipment at their studio, they’ll help you improve your core strength, flexibility, and agility. See why they’re one of the top pilates studios in NYC. Call them at 718-522-1506 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Fitness Guru (77 Front Street)- They’ve been in Dumbo for 2 years and have helped the community with a healthier lifestyle for themselves and their families. Check out the list of classes. 718-554-3560
- Mom/Baby Postnatal Fitness Class – (Located at the Sencha Center: 147 Front Street, Suite 406) – Although this class doesn’t start until next week, Work Out, Baby is a postnatal fitness class incorporating strength, cardio, toning, flexibility, and core work designed to get your body back into shape and free of the aches and pains of motherhood. For Moms and babies ready to move (6 weeks- precrawlers). Six week session begins January 29, Thursdays at 11am or 1pm. Contact Zoe Levine ACE C-PT, Pre and postnatal certified (email@example.com or call 917-309-5969).
These are just a few of several other health and well-being related services in Dumbo. Feel free to comment below on any others you like.