Four events are scheduled for today in Dumbo Brooklyn. Hope you can make at least one of them!
1) Seed Post Thanksgiving Sample Sale, 4-9pm, @ 68 Jay Street Suite 706
2) Seminar: Legal Basics for Small Businesses, 6-8pm, @ Jan Larsen Art, 63 Pearl Street
For details, go to this previous post.
4) Dumbo Parents Organization Meeting
Wednesday, November 29, 2006, at 7:30 pm. @ Low Bar (below Rice) 81 Washington St. learn more about DPO’s steering committee that will collectively launch a series of social, charitable and community-building events for Dumbo children and parents. Click here for further details.
5) powerHouse Event: Disco Years 11/29 – 1/7
Wednesday, November 29, 2006 – Opening Night – Ron Galella’s Disco Years Exhibit & Book Party
Press Preview: 6:00-7:00pm
Opening Reception: 7:00â€“10:00 pm
Location: The powerHouse Arena, 37 Main Street Brooklyn, New York 11201
Disco Years: A powerHouse Retrospective brings the high life, literally and figuratively, in an exhibition of the eraâ€™s most fabulous fashionistas, indulgent rock stars, outlandish artists, mystical muses, jet-setting socialites, and fantastic freaks, revealing the delicious decadence that defined the decade. New York City in the 1970s was the kingdom, Studio 54 for the castle, and Steve Rubell was the king. A select few made it in; the others were content to wait hours beyond the velvet ropes. Consider this show your VIP ticket into a world only the most glamorous have visited.
Disco Years features over 100 vintage prints by world-renowned photographer Ron Galella, called â€œthe godfather of the American paparazzi cultureâ€ by Time magazine, alongside artists including:
- Larry Fink, contributing photographer for Vanity Fair, author of three powerHouse books
- Jill Freedman, photojournalist and documentary photographer
- Arlene Gottfried, documentary photographer and author of Midnight
- Maripol, famed fashion designer, stylist, and author of Maripolarama
- Christopher Makos, author of Warhol | Makos in Context
- Patrick McMullan, celebrity and party photographer, author of so80s and InTents
- Joe RodrÃguez, photojournalist and author of East Side Stories, Juvenile, and Flesh Life
The exhibitionâ€™s opening night party will be hosted by powerHouse Books, *SURFACE, and Village Peopleâ€™s very own Randy Jones. Spinning the disco classics will be the famed NY nightlife producers of Motherfucker: Michael T and Justine D. Gift bags will be distributed to the first 300 guests, compliments of LancÃ´me and Wrecords by Monkey. Complimentary fruit-flavored vodka and rum by 267 Infusions and green tea liqueur by Suntory Zen will be available.