August 26th, 2010
(Photo by Jane Kratochvil)
As mentioned in the press, the Brooklyn Bridge is being rehabilitated and repainted (funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act). Its ramps and approaches have been rated in poor condition. According to the Brooklyn Heights Association (as reported by the Brooklyn Heigths Blog), overnight closures of all three Manhattan-bound traffic lanes on the Brooklyn Bridge, started on Monday August 23rd.
Most of the construction will occur during overnight hours:
- On weekday nights: the closing hours are 11 pm – 6 am
- On Saturdays: from midnight to 7 am
- On Sundays: from 11 pm to 9 am.
During the daytime, single lane closures may occur in each direciton during off-peak hours. Other notes:
- The bridge will reopen to traffic in both directions each morning.
- All Manhattan-bound traffic will be detoured to the Manhattan Bridge or other crossings.
- All Brooklyn-bound traffic will be maintained, and there will be no closure of the pedestrian/cycling promenade.